background

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Healing

It has been quite a day. Today I had a CT scan, blood taken from both arms, the feeling that I just peed in my pants, and the holy bajeezus scared out of me! I will back track and explain all of that. Most of you know (I must interrupt and say that I love that I say "most of you" as if I am speaking to the masses. There is probably a grand total of 2 people who read this blog. Just made me laugh!) Anyway, as most of you know I went to the doctor the Monday before Christmas with chest pain and was diagnosed with pneumonia. I had no idea that I was even sick, I had just been experiencing severe, sharp chest pain for a couple of weeks. I had been on webmd and diagnosed myself with a number of life threatening illnesses that I was sure I had. When the nurse checked my vitals I also had a temperature of 102. I said "hmmm, that's weird." She looked at me like I was weird. I had some x-rays done and the doctor told me that I had a pretty good sized mass of pneumonia in my lungs and that was the reason for the chest pain. I thought that was the most bizarre thing since I was experiencing NO other symptoms that you typically associate with pneumonia. No sneezing, coughing, wheezing, snots...nothing. But what do I know, I'm certainly no doctor. So I sent Justin after my prescription, which was *gasp* $132. I almost died. I was sure this medicine must be laced with diamonds and unicorns and I would most definitely feel better immediately. So, I grew roots on the couch for a few days thanks to my Mom who came and got Addy and I did actually feel better in time for Christmas. I was so happy that I got to enjoy the holidays with my family and over joyed that Addy and Justin did not come done with my pneumonia cooties. I finished out my antibiotic last Wed and felt pretty good. This weekend, the chest pain came back with a vengeance! Sunday night I was in a lot of pain and I was super mad that my super expensive medicine had not done the trick. So I put off going back to the doctor until today, Wednesday, because I was hoping it would just go away. I took Addy with me to the walk-in clinic because I didn't think we would be there very long, just in and out for a prescription refill (which by the way was NOT going to be the $130 prescription, I was going to ever so politely tell them what they could do with that one!) The doctor did another x-ray and after some waiting, a toddler meltdown, and 87 replays of "There's a party in my tummy" video on Youtube (thank God for smart phones), the doctor came back in looking all serious. She told me that the mass in my lungs had grown and that it was not pneumonia. She said she thought it was most likely a pulmonary embolism, which is a blood clot in my lungs. OMG! There is the bajeezus getting scared out of me. I actually new a guy about my age that passed away last fall from a blood clot. My heart sank and I didn't really know what to say or do. I couldn't cry and be the basket case that I wanted to be because I had Addy. So I called Justin and he said he would leave work. I had to go to another doctor's office to get a CT scan and since it was now 2 hours past A's lunch time, I knew I could not even think of taking her for that. So they took some blood work and I headed to Franklin for my test. There I had more blood taken and a needle stuck in my arm so the tech could inject a dye for my test. It hurt really bad. The lady was very nice and told me what to expect and she was right on the money. As soon as I got the injection, my whole body was warm, my ears felt like they were on fire, my heart was racing, and I was positive I had peed in my pants! She told me I would feel that way, but that I would not actually have done it. I was SURE I had peed myself...but I didn't. Crazy. They sent my results back to my doctor, and it turns out I do NOT have a blood clot in my lungs. Thank God! I was doing some serious praying in that waiting room. I was terrified, nothing has ever been wrong with me in my life, I have been blessed with good health. They CT showed that the mass is still in fact pneumonia infection. My doctor was baffled that I had not responded to the first round of antibiotics and that it has grown, but she gave me another round of antibiotics. Guess we will see how this one goes. I am just so thankful that it is just pneumonia. My chest is still hurting very bad, I hope this antibiotic gets the job done fast. I have a new treadmill upstairs that is calling my name!

Justin is also not feeling well. I'm not sure what he is coming down with but he is downing theraflu as I type. Poor guy. I always hate it when he is sick because he NEVER takes off work when he doesn't feel well. He just works through it, when I know if it were me I would have called in and balled up on the couch under a blanky in my jammies. That man is tough as nails! Love him. So please say a prayer for him too, we are both in need of some healing. So far, sweet Addy is feeling fine.

Also today, anyone reading this, I am asking for your prayers for a dear friend of mine. I can't go into any detail, but yesterday someone that I love very much received some devastating news about her child. It is not life threatening, but it is life changing. I have spent a lot of time in the last 24 hours talking to God and praying for this family. I feel so helpless as a friend because there is truly nothing that I can do to bring comfort to her. I have been asking God to wrap his arms around her and her husband and allow them to feel his presence and draw peace and strength from Him. I can only imagine the pain and grief they are feeling and the questions in their heads that seem to have no answers. I wish that I could take that all away for her. I know that their hearts are breaking, mine breaks for them too. I know that they need healing Lord, please shine your light on them and show them hope.

Today's blessings

8. Not having a blood clot in my lungs! I was so afraid. I never thought I would say that I am thankful for pneumonia, but I am.

9. A healthy child


Hug your babies tight and tell them you love them every single day as many times as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment